Friday, February 28, 2014

Disturbing Behavior

Michael whipped around to face me as my keys loudly hit the concrete.  His appearance was disheveled; his hair hung sweatily in his bloodshot eyes, his clothes were rumpled and I could smell the alcohol on him from where I stood.  He was clearly drunk and judging by the blood on his scraped knuckles, he'd been pounding on Kate's door or the brick facade of our building.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?  You aren't welcome here and you need to leave," I struggled to keep my voice quiet and even as I leaned down to pick up my keys.  I was amazed nobody had intervened or called the cops already.  I could hear Kate yelling through the door and I was sure our neighbors could hear her, as well.

Michael tossed his hair out of his eyes, grinning like a shark.  I'd never seen him in this state before and I backed away instinctively.  He took a step towards me, letting out a humorless laugh.

"Where the fuck were you, Emma?  I know you weren't at work.  I can smell him on you.  Is it that prick I saw meeting you here?  I'll kill him, I swear I will.  What kind of whore goes out screwing around when she's pregnant?  You're not fit to be the mother to my child," he slurred angrily, taking another step towards me.

"You're drunk out of your mind.  Just go home and sleep it off.  We aren't together anymore and you have no say over my life!  I'm calling your dad to come get you, you're in no shape to drive," I spoke softly, hoping to calm him down.

I reached into my purse for my phone, skimming through my contacts for Tom's number and eyeing Michael warily.  As I selected the number to call, Michael smacked the phone from my hand, sending it crashing to the ground.  A small yelp of fear escaped me.  At that moment, the door to the apartment  we were closest to opened.

"Hey, buddy, leave the girl alone," a man spoke loudly, sharply.  Michael turned to face him, puffing up his chest and shambling forward.

"This is none of your business, man, get back inside," Michael snorted, waving him off.

"Yeah, well, you're yelling and carrying on outside my front door, so I think it is my business.  Get outta here or I'm calling the cops," the man said firmly.  His eyes met mine and he nodded.  Michael was too busy trying to intimidate my neighbor to notice me turning away and bolting for my apartment.  I slammed the door shut, locking the deadbolt.  I could hear the neighbor do the same and Michael yelled in rage.

Kate's eyes were wide, red-rimmed and terrified.  I hugged her tightly and asked for her phone to call the police.  Mine was smashed and on the pavement outside our building.  She shook her head, whispering that she'd already called and they were on their way.

Just then, the front door shook as Michael resumed pounding on the door.  Seeing no other option, I sank into the couch and sobbed, hoping the police would arrive soon and stop this nightmare.

No comments:

Post a Comment