Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Coming Home

Michael and I made our way into the restaurant, his hand placed gently on the small of my back.  I smiled up at him nervously when we spotted his parents.  He put his arm around my shoulder and pulled me to him, kissing the top of my head as we approached the table.

"Emma, sweetie, you look wonderful," Michael's stepmother, Melinda, exclaimed as she stood to hug us. 

"Thank you, it's so good to see you guys!" I gushed nervously, tugging at the hem of my dress as I sat down.

The four of us glanced over our menus as we waited for the waitress to return with our drinks.  I had opted for an iced tea while everyone else ordered wine.  It wasn't unusual for me to order something non-alcoholic to drink, so I doubted it raised any red flags but I noticed Melinda eyeing me over the top of her menu and I couldn't help but fidget uncomfortably.  Michael seemed absorbed in the conversation he was having with his father, Tom, and I found myself wondering if he had already told them our news.  I decided I was simply being paranoid and attempted to relax.

Michael and I had decided we would tell his parents the news after the meal but before dessert.  I figured delivering this kind of news would be better received on a non-empty stomach. 

Conversation was light and easy going and all too soon the calamari appetizer was gone, and the plates were being cleared.   Dinner arrived shortly after, and before I knew it, we were waiting on dessert to be brought to our table.  I knew when Michael squeezed my hand under the table that now was the time.

"Dad, Melinda, we have something we want to tell you guys," Michael began, grinning proudly.  I swallowed nervously and flashed what I hoped was a carefree smile.  I'm sure it was more of a grimace than a smile, but bless their hearts, Tom and Melinda didn't seem to notice.  They were both focused on Michael.  He cleared his throat before continuing.

"We wanted to have dinner tonight with you to share some important news.  Emma and I are having a baby!"  Michael was positively beaming and I felt myself blushing as his parents congratulated us and began asking questions.  The waitress arrived with our cheesecake just then and I was thankful for the distraction.

Tom and Melinda asked about a million questions, all of the typical questions I expected, but what I didn't expect was how genuinely happy for us they seemed, completely unlike my own mother's reaction.  They insisted that dinner was on them, and we walked to the parking lot together.  Tom stopped me as we approached Michael's car.

"Emma, I know you're going to protest, but I'm giving you the Honda.  I never drive it anymore, and you're going to need your own car now more than ever.  I had planned on selling it but I'd much rather see you driving it.  You can come pick it up first thing tomorrow!"

My eyes filled with tears as I profusely thanked him for his generosity.  It was a late-nineties Honda Civic and it ran perfectly.  It had been sitting in the driveway untouched for months, as Tom hadn't gotten around to selling it when he'd bought a new car.  Michael pulled me in for a hug and insisted upon driving me to his parent's house to get the car in the morning. 

"See, babe?  I told you everything would work out.  I can't believe my dad's giving you the car, isn't it great?  Everything is looking up for us," Michael murmured into my hair, rubbing a circle between my shoulder blades as he held me close.

I tilted my face up towards his and he leaned in to kiss me.  When our lips met, I felt myself melting into his embrace.  The only way to describe it was that the kiss felt like coming home.  Everything just seemed...right.

"Michael, I've missed you and I'm so sorry.  I'm ready to make things official again, if you'll take me back..."

1 comment:

  1. One of the best blogs I'm currently reading...

    ReplyDelete